What happens if a pedestrian is injured by a construction site?

Construction Accident Lawyer New York

What happens if a pedestrian is injured by a construction site?It may not be surprising to learn that every year in New York, hundreds of construction workers are injured or killed on job sites. What you might not realize is that many construction accidents also involve passing pedestrians or drivers who were in the wrong place at the wrong time. Following this unexpected injury could include medical costs, lost wages, stress, pain, suffering and more.

If you or a loved one has been injured on or near a construction site, but were not a worker or laborer, you have have the legal right to get compensation. It is important to contact a Construction Accident Lawyer New York trusts to handle New York pedestrian construction accidents to ensure you recover maximum damages. At Polsky, Shouldice & Rosen, P.C., we focus on personal injury law which includes all types of construction accidents.

I was passing a construction site as a pedestrian and was injured, now what?

If you have been injured while working at a construction site, filing for workers compensation will likely be the most practical, and available, option. When this pertains to your situation, please see our other pages for more information.

If you were a pedestrian or innocent bystander injured on or near a construction site, a New York construction accident lawyer might advise you to file a personal injury claim. This is because in these types of cases, negligence on part of the construction site, is almost always a factor. Liable parties may include:

  • The construction company
  • The construction workers
  • Contractors
  • Subcontractors
  • The property owner
  • A third-party company
  • A manufacturer

Responsibilities of a Construction Site

By law, construction sites must adhere to rules set forth by the state and the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA). Unfortunately, these rules are not always followed. As a result people anywhere on or around the site can become injured. Some of the construction site’s responsibilities include:

  • Posting clear and visible warning signs around the site
  • Fencing off the construction zone
  • Mandatory wearing of hard hats inside the site
  • Keeping all materials and machinery inside the site
  • Ensuring objects are not too close to open edges
  • Adding nets to areas that could be prone to falling objects
  • Ensuring scaffolding or fencing is properly constructed
  • Having workers or police performing traffic detail

Failing to adhere to these rules could be grounds for negligence and could open the construction site up to liability. Our team of Construction Accident Lawyers in New York have handled pedestrian construction accident claims that have involved:

  • Head injuries
  • Broken bones
  • Lacerations
  • Severe bruising
  • Back injuries
  • Internal bleeding

What You Should Do Following the Accident

Following an injury as a pedestrian passing a construction site, you should:

  1. Get medical attention
  2. Take pictures of the scene
  3. Ask for the contact details of any witnesses
  4. Document all injuries
  5. Avoid speaking to the liable party’s insurance company
  6. Call a NY construction accident lawyer

Do You Have More Questions? Call a Lawyer NOW.

More than likely you have many questions and concerns about your legal options, the claims process, and how you can receive medical treatment now. The lawyers from Polsky, Shouldice & Rosen, P.C., can address these matters and more during a consultation. You should not have to go through this alone. Contact the Construction Accident Lawyer New York calls first to help learn what your options are.

Contact Us


    Nobody does it better than this firm. Mark and his team truly feel YOU MATTER and make sure all is done correctly ASAP. Follow ups, call backs, you get treated RESPECTFULLY right from the start.
    I had a case with Adam Rosen, of Polsky, Shouldice and Rosen. From the beginning they treated me right and answered all of my questions. They handled my case great and got me a nice settlement for my injuries. I would tell anyone to use them.

    Call Polsky, Shouldice & Rosen, PC at (718) 587-0997